The "NJ Responds to the Crisis in Darfur Coalition", was formed in 2005 in the aftermath of a political rally calling attention to the gravity of the crisis. It has worked in the following areas:
The N.J. Coalition is a resource to schools throughout the State interested in educating and advocating against the genocide in Darfur.
- Raising our voices
We endorse and provide resource support to local grassroots initiatives around the State through endorsing events, speaking at rallies, raising funds, and undertaking advocacy campaigns.
- Advocating – The Coalition works to galvanize national and local elected officials to speak out and take action on the issue of Darfur The New Jersey Coalition is proud of the leadership role that New Jersey has played in this effort to end genocide in Darfur through divestment, state and national legislation calling for action, and keeping pressure on China to use its influence in Sudan.
- NJ Coalition Calls for Action To Ensure Fair and Free Elections in Darfur - Campaign with Essex County Coalition contact President Obama and let him know what happens in Sudan matters to you. Contact Senator Menendez and Congressman Payne, who serve on key committees on Foreign Affairs, with the same message.
- Darfur Update 2010 - A Call to Darfur Advocates - A snapshot of upcoming initiatives
- Obama Administration Darfur Policy
- Policy Objectives
- Statement of President Obama on Sudan Strategy
- Conference, October 16, 2009 at Kean University, Genocide in Darfur: Remnant or Present Reality?. Speakers include: General(Ret.) Scott Gration, US Special Envoy to Sudan.
- SEN. MENENDEZ ISSUES STATEMENT ON U.S. EMERGENCY AID TO DARFUR- 1.06.09. Chairman of Senate foreign assistance subcommittee says despite late timing, help for peacekeeping effort is welcome action
- Solar Cooker Project Launch, September, 2008
- Press Release - NEW JERSEY’S SENATORIAL AND CONGRESSINAL CANDIDATES
ANNOUNCE THEIR POSITIONS ON DARFUR
- Global Days for Darfur 2008
- The Coalition has produced the first Genocide Instructional Guide in the country. The 2008 edition has been distributed through our member organization, the NJ Commission on Holocaust Education, to all middle and high schools in the state.
- Assemblyman Payne Receives Humanitarian Award - January 2008
- Screening of "The Devil Came on Horseback" featuring a panel with Brian Steidle – December 2007
- NJ Lights The Torch for Darfur – Torch Relay Event details, press release, and video November 2007
- American Jewish Committee presents Darfur Now at the Millburn Theater, November 200 . Darfur Now will be available on DVD on May 27 th . For more information type www.participate.net/darfurnow
- Do the Write Thing – a media conference on Media, Activism, and the Genocide in Darfur for high school students and their teachers - January 2007.
- Coalition produces Darfur Instructional Guide NJ Commission on Holocaust Education
- Advocated for the passage of State of NJ Divestment from the Sudan (A-3482) with Assemblyman Payne - 2005
New Jersey is a thought and activist leader on Darfur.